[TriLUG] Hosting multiple WordPress sites - VMWare or OpenVZ

Igor Partola igor at igorpartola.com
Mon Jan 30 06:15:41 EST 2012

At a high level, OpenVZ provides slightly higher performance, but VMWare
provides better isolation. Specifically, OpenVZ does not let you run a
separate kernel for the VM.

When renting, I much prefer VMWare or Xen to OpenVZ or KIM since the latter
are easier to "oversell", put more VMs on a machine than there is RAM. If
you are the admin this may turn to an advantage, if you know some customers
of yours will get less traffic than others. However I would take
predictable performance over dynamic resource scaling.

For your actual problem, I would definitely recommend setting up
nginx+apache+WordPress SuperCache. That setup scales up to getting heavily
slashdotted on very little RAM.

Also check out the silicon on www.lowendbox.com for some great info on
setting up WP on various types of VPSs.

Igor