[TriLUG] CSS question

Mitchell Amiano mamiano at nc.rr.com
Tue Jan 31 10:07:53 EST 2012

If by "position: nothing" you mean absence of the property, the formatting will be "static", which is not the same as relative, so it makes sense that it would differ.
"top" and "left" properties are ignored in static positioning.

(If by "position: nothing" you mean the literal string, that is not valid CSS but it should revert to "static" in that case too.)

Relative positioning offsets elements out of the position they would have been at in the normal flow.  The layout flow can be affected by whether the element is being treated as a block, an inline-block, or an inline-element, whether line-breaking spaces are present, and whether you're using a browser that has serious layout bugs like IE6 or IE7 (see <http://www.positioniseverything.net/explorer.html> for examples.)