[TriLUG] White House response to FOSS petition?

Peter Neilson neilson at windstream.net
Fri Feb 3 14:45:41 EST 2012

On Fri, 03 Feb 2012 13:16:22 -0500, Mitchell Amiano <mamiano at nc.rr.com>
wrote:

> OTOH, there are a bunch of hoops to go through in order to even get onto
> an authorized procurement list, at any particular level of government.
> That narrows the field quite a bit since programmers are notoriously a
> lazy lot; I for one despise bureaucratic paperwork.

I'm sufficiently bothered by job-application forms that ask for my grades
in high school, or what I did in each job I've ever held.

For government contracts, it seems that you have to know the people who
know how to grease the system for you. If you go in without being
prepared, you will fail. Recently I applied for two separate governmental
programs, got nothing from one, and got a near disaster from the other.
There are others I've not touched for fear of hearing, "What you're doing
is illegal, you know," or "We do not need a warrant. We can inspect
because you are under the XXX program. Your entire farm is under Federal
authority."

On MY other hand, I've personally known people receiving Section 8 or
other disability assistance without being disabled at all. Even when
reported, nothing happens to them. I have no idea how to grease that kind
of stuff, but those people certainly do.