[TriLUG] mount cifs problem

Igor Partola igor at igorpartola.com
Mon Feb 6 10:42:05 EST 2012

> Throw me in the unix subsystem for windows camp, though.
>

> I'm sorry. I don't understand this

Windows Services for UNIX [1] is what I use to set up NFS across my network
where Windows machines have to be used. It was pretty easy to set up and
performs well enough. Samba is complex to configure due to the fact that
user permissions on the system and on the network are assumed to be
different. NFS is simple: if you are user 1000 on machine A, then it
assumes you are user 1000 on machine B as well. Now, I a not at all an NFS
expert, but my point is that my NAS's drives are available on every machine
in the house with minimal configuration.

WSfU is a free download from Microsoft, and MS has decent documentation for
how to set up an NFS client.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Services_for_UNIX