[TriLUG] OT: Backup MX providers?

Matt Flyer matt at noway2.thruhere.net
Mon Feb 6 19:06:43 EST 2012

One thing to consider is that if your ISP is down, you might lose both your connection and your backup, if you use your ISP.

This may not be a big deal because most sender domains will queue mail for a while, but probably not as long as your backup.

Another thing to keep in mind is that your backup, which will list as an MX with lower priority will still get mail delivered to it.  Mail won't necessarily always go to the primary, even though it should.  This means it may have more traffic (bamdwidth) than you might count on.  Spammers, especially will try to take advantage of it and try to use it as a relay point.
Sent via BlackBerry