[TriLUG] What are other Kmail users doing? <SMTP SERVER IS UNNECESSARY>

Eric Gerney gerney at att.com
Wed Feb 8 08:51:48 EST 2012

Steve,

> I've been working with Claws-Mail operating off my local Dovecot server
> for several days now, and here's how it works:
>
> * Fetchmail sucks my mail off my ISP's POP3.
> * Fetchmail hands the mail to Procmail.
> * Procmail uses its filters to deposit the email into the proper
>   directories in Dovecot's maildir tree. For instance, Procmail puts
>   anything with [TriLUG] in the subject
>   into /home/slitt/mail/Maildir/.TriLUG
> * Dovecot serves the email out to Claws-Mail. And Thunderbird. And lots
>   more email clients. Even Kmail, if I wanted to do that.
>
> We don't need no steeenkin Sendmail!

Awesome!  I was unaware that fetchmail can directly invoke a MDA, by-passing a
MTA entirely... for those following along, this is the --mda option.

You might look into invoking 'deliver' - Dovecot's LDA, which will also update
any mailbox index files, as procmail is unaware of them.  However, deliver is
not a procmail replacement and cannot do the same filtering etc.  I actually
have procmail invoking deliver per the Dovecot wiki...
http://wiki2.dovecot.org/procmail

Regards,
Eric Gerney
TSS/GSI Network Manager