[TriLUG] looking for inexpensive web hosting for a non-profit

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Sat Feb 11 06:34:58 EST 2012

On Fri, 10 Feb 2012 23:28:40 -0500
Greg Brown <gwbrown1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> A friend has asked me to locate an inexpensive web hosting company
> for a non-profit.  I wanted to ask Trilug because I know some of you
> work for local hosting companies and I'd like to keep the business
> local if I could. The traffic requirements are VERY minimal is
> everything.  The current webpage has no database back-end or
> interactive pages, in fact everything is static HTML from what I can
> tell.  I think the page could live on an existing Apache server with
> minimal impact.
>
> The current webpage is:
>
> http://www.thebikerschurchoxfordnc.com

> Greg

Hi Greg,

I use Bluehost.Com to host Troubleshooters.Com. I think it costs me
about eleven bucks a month, but I see right now they're offering a
complete package for $5.95, and this package would be much, much more
than your buddy needs.

Bluehost is up all the time. I remember one time in the past two years
when Troubleshooters.Com was off the air. Absolutely nothing goes
wrong. When I call their tech support (usually just to isolate the
problem to something on my end), they're informed, informative and
helpful. The last time I called them it was to ask permission to use
their server to security test my home firewall, which of course is
against their terms of service (yeah, they just love people who ssh in
and run nmap :-). The guy OK'ed it just for this time, and was very
knowledgeable about what I was doing and why.

I have ssh and sftp and scp access, so none of that silliness where you
need to operate a website to suck files off your computer. Full sh or
bash, not sure which, on their end -- no problem operating tar and
gzip. Their email works very well.

Bluehost.Com has one problem everyone should know about -- it's ROTTEN
for operating mailing lists. They throttle so much that if you have 40
people on the list and a thread starts generating a response every 5
minutes, you can get backed up a couple hours or more. Don't use
Bluehost to host mailing lists with more than the slightest traffic.

I've used Bluehost since 2005, and I'm extremely pleased with them.

SteveT