[TriLUG] looking for advice for working on catwalk

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Tue Feb 14 22:26:48 EST 2012

On 2/9/2012 7:17 AM, Joseph Mack NA3T wrote:
> I hope to be involved in a job which requires installing gear from a
> catwalk. The installation will be just outside the catwalk on beams,
> The workers will be clipped into a safety cable, and will be working
> within arm's reach of the catwalk. The workers will need both hands
> for the job, so hanging onto the catwalk is out. Presumably they'll
> lean back against the catwalk for balance.
>
> I don't know safe or legally required working practices under such
> conditions. Presumably others involved in the job do, but I won't know
> if they're correct or safe without outside information.
>
> Presumably workers can drop/fumble tools/washers. Do you rope off the
> area below? A heavy drill could still crater the floor below. Are you
> required to have nets immediately below the workers. Are tools
> supposed to be strapped to the workers (eg drill holes in the handles
> of screw drivers and tie them to you with nylon cord)?

Going in a slightly different direction than others have posted, have
you considered whether an elevated platform - a scissor lift - is
perhaps a better/more appropriate method of accessing this work than the
catwalk?  While the catwalk may exist for certain types of maintenance
it sounds like the type of work you're doing requires a more stable,
enclosed platform, in a position closer to the beam where the
installation is being done, which a scissor lift can offer - especially
if there's a flat hard surface below like a stage.  In that case the
issue of dropped tools, etc, may not be as much of a risk if the tools
can be held above the platform. Depending on what type of site this is,
they may either have a scissor lift already or would be familiar with
renting and using one in that environment.

Just a thought, and I realize not your primary question.

Cheers,
Jeremy