[TriLUG] HD Antenna Suggestions

Bill Farrow bill at arrowsreach.com
Thu Mar 8 12:33:04 EST 2012

On Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 12:05 PM, Marc Wiatrowski <mwia at iglass.net> wrote:
> Also note, the term HD antenna is bogus and used to sell you something
> new.  It doesn't matter to the antenna if its HD or standard def, analog or
> digital.  Its just a matter of which picks up the best signal.

I think Marc is correct.  You need the antenna to pick up UHF signals
which carry most of the digital TV channels, and depending on your
location and desired channels you might need some of the higher VHF
bands as well.  Typically people use a simple wire loop that is an
omni directional UHF antenna. Most square and flat antennas are just a
wire loop and balun in a nice looking plastic case.

I should point out that RG-6 coaxial cable is recommended for Over The
Air (OTA) digital tv, because it has much better shielding that the
older RG-59 cable.

Bill