[TriLUG] OT: NC insurance options

matt at noway2.thruhere.net matt at noway2.thruhere.net
Fri Mar 30 10:02:43 EDT 2012

> I'm not sure if someone was asking me or not, but I'll bite.
>
> My wife and I are on a policy together - $283/month for high-deductible
> policy of $5400 (IIRC) and HSA.  This is standard BCBSNC I got through
> their website.  We both had pre-existing conditions, which rated us higher
> than it would have been otherwise, so said the woman on the phone.
>
> On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 11:51 PM, Steve Litt
> <slitt at troubleshooters.com>wrote:
>
>> I'm self-employed, with a group-of-one policy. If you're self-employed
>> and paying 12% of that, I want to talk to you offline about who your
>> insurance is with.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> SteveT

Th is about half of what I am paying for just my wife for BCBSNC.  I have
an odd situation where I get the State Health Plan, which covers 100% of
my premium, but 0% of my wife.  What's worse is that I get to buy hers at
full retail cost, there is no volume discount for having tens of thousands
of employees.  The deductible we have is almost $3K, after which we pay
30% up to an $11K co-insurance maximum.  This is what the media likes to
call a "Cadillac health care package", though I think the Cadillac they're
referring to is the one that ran over me, backed up and hit me again.  The
individual deductible and co-ins max aren't nearly as exorbitant.  It was
clearly designed with the idea that your spouse would work somewhere and
get their own, but my wife is self employed.

What's worse is that when my co-workers have gone to use it, payments of
around $400 - $500 up front and in advance have often times been demanded
from them.

I would like to find either a separate plan for my wife or even a plan for
both of us, if I can get a rebate for not taking the state plan.

And people wonder why I pray for socialized medicine.  This insurance
system really sucks!