[TriLUG] Local Resume pros?

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Sat Mar 31 10:12:52 EDT 2012

On Sat, 31 Mar 2012, Carl Crider wrote:

> I'm looking for a local resume pro with a decent (3-5
> days) turnaround time. All leads are appreciated.

I'm not sure that a general purpose resume gets you far (I
don't know, but I think it doesn't, IANAHM - hiring manager)

I've put a lot of effort into figuring out about resumes.
Not having got a job yet (but having managed to avoid taking
a whole lot that I don't want) I don't know whether my vote
should have much weight. The only things that everyone
agrees on is that it be 2 pages or less and that the resume
is to get an interview, not to get a job.

Resumes will be _first_ read by read by two different types
of people

o HR/recruiters. For these, you are scored by matching
words. You have to have all the words required in the job
spec (in the right tense) or not make it. In this case you
are applying to a company who contracts out their search for
their most important resource, the human capital, to idiots.
These are the same people who when looking for a wife say
"get me a wife; she must meet requirements x,y,z and be as
cheap as possible". The workers being sought are fungible
(at least in the minds of the people involved in hiring), eg
unix admins, programmers... When you arrive on the job, you
will be working for the people who accept that idiots do the
most important job in the house.

o Hiring managers. I think I've seen 1 or 2 of these in the
last year. These people want to know what projects you've
originated or pushed through to completion, how you've shown
initiative and how you've contributed to your work place.
These people don't care about details of your works skills a
whole lot. They want to know projects.

Either way, your resume will have to be modified for each
job.

Joe