[TriLUG] About "Private notes"

Bill Farrow bill at arrowsreach.com
Thu Apr 19 09:43:53 EDT 2012

I'm having a deja vu moment with this discussion thread.  This is
quite a common topic for LUG mailing lists.

I am on a number of mailing lists, and a minority of these have
decided not change the ReplyTo header.  When replying on one of those
lists, I do a "reply to all", and then I have manually edit the To and
CC lines to ensure the mail goes back to the list only - by default it
goes to the list and to the senders email address (not the original
poster btw).  Not everyone is as conciseness, and I often receive two
identical reply emails;  one from the list and one sent directly to my
address.

Please, think of the children^H^H^H^H^H^H Andriod and iPhone users
with limited user interfaces for dealing with email.

The number of accidental emails sent back to our list is relatively
small, and is probably less than the number of emails to our list
asking to be unsubscribed.  Most people don't read RFC's let alone the
info appended to the bottom of every TriLUG mailing list email for
unsubscribing.

I believe that what we have now works extremely well as a discussion
list, and I see no reason to change.

Bill