[TriLUG] Installfest netboot server update

Jack Hill jackhill at jackhill.us
Wed May 9 20:46:45 EDT 2012

This past Sunday (May 6th), I had hoped to make progress on getting the
netboot server set-up at Splat*Space. Unfortunately, the hardware that
I brought with me had problems, and I haven’t had a chance to debug i t
yet as I found it difficult to concentrate in Splat*Space with so many
other interesting things going on. I have other hardware which I know
works though, so I think that I’ll just use that. One of the reasons
that I wanted to get it set up while at Splat*Space was to integrate it
into their network. Justis convinced me of the value/ease of
configuration of setting it up on it’s own dedicated network. If, after
the hopeful great success of the installfest, Splat*Space decides that
they want to have a permanent netboot machine, it can be moved onto
their main network.

There are two pieces of hardware that I don’t own that would help t
o make this install-network be able to host more than four clients: A
switch and enough ethernet cables. If either TriLUG or Splat*Space can
provide those let me know.

There are two ways I can think of setting this up. The first if to have
a separate NATed IPv4 subnet. How do I offer IPv6 connectivity this
way? Can I use the same /64 as Splat*Space or do I need a different /64
(that I convince the Splat*Space router I’m in charge of or that I get
over VPN) (I want a /64 so I can do SLAAC). The second is to use the
same IPv4 subnet as the main Splat*Space network, but hand out addresses
from a separate range than the Splat*Space dhcp server. I think I like
the second approach better, but it would require coordination with the
Splat*Space dhcp administrator to not hand out conflicting addresses.
Which approach should I use?

Scott is working to recruit people to presentations on/talks about
their some configuration setup they have. If you have an idea about
something you would like to share talk with Scott or me tomorrow and
add it to the wiki page <http://trilug.org/wiki/Installfest_May_2012>
(also, expand the list of distros to have on hand).

Jack