[TriLUG] Screen Recording Software

Jack Hill jackhill at jackhill.us
Sun May 13 12:45:40 EDT 2012

On Sun, 13 May 2012 12:33:24 -0400
Jack Hill <jackhill at jackhill.us> wrote:

> On Sun, 13 May 2012 11:41:04 -0400
> Steve Litt <slitt at troubleshooters.com> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 13 May 2012 08:14:48 -0400
> > Andrew Blum <ajblumx at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Once you get a video recorded, you will probably need to do some
> > > post editing.
> > >
> > > For combining/editing video/audio and for rendering projects I
> > > would recommend kdenlive (http://www.kdenlive.org/).  There is a
> > > collection of very helpful tutorials available to get you started
> > > ( http://www.kdenlive.org/tutorial).  I was able to get up and
> > > rendering in about 1/2 a day using those tutorials.
> >
> > Does anyone know of a non-KDE equivalent?
>
> Other ones with a similar interface design (from the standpoint of
> someone who dosn’t seriously edit video) are cinelerra and pitivi.
> Openshot has a different interface aimed an non-perfessionals.
>
> I reviewed these before when I needed to provide video editing
> software for someone who was using film as part of a class and
> decided that I liked kdenlive the best (unfortunatly, I can’t find
> the notes I made at the time).

I found my notes! Here’s what I thought on 24 July 2011. The testing
was done with the most recent stable version for gentoo-amd64 (unless
there wasn’t any version stable in which case it was for the most
recent version in testing:

Okay, so I did my testing.

Cinelerra 2.1CV: doesn't draw anything in the window. FAIL. (I didn't
track down this problem because:

Kdenlive 0.8: GREAT SUCCESS. In my add a narration and slice different
segments together and apply audio and visual filters testing I didn't
see any bugs. I also thought it was pretty intuitive (but I have weird
computer use habits) after having previous audio editing experience and
watching over someone's shoulder as he used Apple's video editing
solution. I'm also a KDE fan, but generally like their interface
approach (yes, it's a large project and it's hard to mandate consistent
interfaces, but they do seem to have common elements (such as how the
config dialog is organized)) This is the one I recommend on using for
the class. I would be happy to install it in our locker (but will wait
on someone to tell me that we want this since with the dependencies
it's a little large and an annoying process). If we're using the NMC I
believe they have OS X build on their website. Adam, I suspect you were
using version 0.7 or earlier, there was essentially a complete rewrite
for version 0.8 when they switched to using the MLT framework.

pitivi: Same interface philosophy as Kdenlive. I found moving tracks
around more annoying. No obvious bugs.

Kino: Annoyance of having to transcode clips in their entirety when
importing them. In fact I didn't test it that much because of this
annoyance and the fact that it looked like it was for more armatures
than power-users, and because I had already come up with my
recommendation for Kdenlive.

Jack