[TriLUG] don't understand salt

Aaron Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Sat Jun 9 09:04:07 EDT 2012

The salt does not need to be stored any more securely than the password
hash.  If its not clear why, ask and I'll elaborate. The standard mechanism
on a linux box is to store the salt as part of the password hash in
/etc/shadow.  It's the first two bytes of the value in the second field of
/etc/shadow.

See the man pages for 'shadow' and 'crypt' for more details.

Aaron S. Joyner