[TriLUG] LUKS and booting

Alan Porter porter at trilug.org
Tue Jun 19 17:28:56 EDT 2012

> Where is the "magic?"  Presumably it must be in Grub, but what am I
> missing?

It's in the initramfs.

Grub loads the kernel and the initramfs.  That detects the filesystems
and devices, asks for a LUKS password, optionally detects LVM, and
eventually tries to mount the root filesystem.

To get mine to work (LVM on top of LUKS), I had to tinker with
/etc/crypttab and the config files in /etc/initramfs.  The config file
that finally did the trick was "cryptroot", which I found in
/usr/share/initramfs/ .

Don't forget to "update-initramfs" and maybe even "update-grub".

--
# ɹǝʇɹoԀ uɐl∀