[TriLUG] copying files

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Tue Jun 19 21:18:28 EDT 2012

On Tue, 19 Jun 2012, David Both wrote:

> Yes, but it is faster than using find.

find finds the new files instantly, whereas cp -auv will sit
there for 5 mins, presumably comparing file dates at each
end, before it copies over the new file (or files).

If I have take this list of the new files, and copy them by
hand, they're copied in seconds. So by pre-selecting only
the new files, the copy changes from 5mins to about 15secs.

The update is unidirectional. I don't need both ends to talk
and make sure files are in sync. I just have to copy the new
files to the remote machine.

Joe