[TriLUG] copying files

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Wed Jun 20 02:39:38 EDT 2012

On Tue, 19 Jun 2012 18:45:13 -0700 (PDT), Joseph Mack NA3T said:
> On Tue, 19 Jun 2012, David Both wrote:
>
> > All I am doing is suggesting you try it. What do you have to lose?
>
> before going to the trouble of doing something, I need to
> know, with the best information I have, how likely it is to
> work. At the momemt I don't know what happens, when one file
> is changed, to diff the file lists at each end. This
> information is known and it could exclude rsync from being a
> possibility. I'll wait till I know how the diff works.
>
> Joe

Hi Joe,

I regularly back up using rsync, in excess of 100,000 files of varying
sizes, and can tell you except for the first time it's VERY fast. You
don't need NFS or find or anything.

It seems to me that the objection you stated to rsync was that it
compared every file, and I presume your objection to that was speed.
All I can say is even comparing every file, it's very fast, and if it
were transferring 15 new files out of 10,000, as an example you stated
before, it would take a few seconds.

I don't know how often you'll be running this process, but I've found
rsync to be fast and reliable, and if it bombs in the middle you simply
run it again, no harm, no foul, and it picks up where it left off.

SteveT

                          *  http://twitter.com/stevelitt