[TriLUG] better than xfig?

Pete Soper pete at soper.us
Thu Jun 21 13:25:41 EDT 2012

> On Thu, 21 Jun 2012 11:27:07 -0400, Pete Soper said:
>> There may never be a better straight line on this list (for those who
>> have used xfig).
>>
>> I'm looking for an alternative to xfig for Linux. OmniGraffle would
>> be my virtual benchmark.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Pete
> Inkscape?
Thanks for the suggestion. I just tried Inkscape for a few minutes.

It wouldn't be a step forward from xfig. The truth is it would be a
great subject for any new edition of an Alan Cooper book on UI design
(i.e. as an anti-design). After puzzling about the preexisting rectangle
in the drawing area and deciding to ignore it I selected the rectangle
icon from the left-side menu and drew one. I got a rectangle with
rounded corners and a bright blue solid fill. I messed around trying to
see a way to get a rectangle, but couldn't get one right way. I thought
OK, this is a distraction from the functionality I'm really after, which
is about the maniuplating of a just-drawn object,  so I tried to "grab"
the top of the rounded-rectangle to pull the rectangle to a new height
and only managed to create a new rectangle up out of the middle of the
first one. But darn if this tool isn't so smart that the new rectangle
had a rounded top. I chose to interpret this as "read the xfig docs
more, then read the freaking source code like we had to do before
Usenet/Arpanet/Internet!!
-Pete

So this tool has given me the finger and as I know the msg limit is
small on this list, I've copied what I saw here:

Again, I'm looking for something lik

Maybe a different question. In the old days xfig had a "select" mode in
which one could click on an object and stretch it's dimensions, etc. I
went for a while without using xfig and now there are only
"creation/modification modes" and having created a rectangle I earnestly
just want to change it's size, but without opening a (***) edit dialog
box asking me how I want to change it's current .574 inch width. I've
been through the docs but haven't sequentally read the whole set in the
hopes of getting the clue. What I need to be able to do is (e.g.) tweak
a rectangle by grabbing and pulling a corner or side. I can cope with
menu selections for all the other primitive operations.

-Pete

-Pete