[TriLUG] copying files

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Fri Jun 22 02:03:33 EDT 2012

On Thu, 21 Jun 2012 18:24:53 -0700 (PDT), Joseph Mack NA3T said:

> I'm uploading through a home dsl line where 30kBps up is
> about it and it's already busy doing other things. This is
> about the bandwidth I'll get when it's in production.
>
> I have 25k files (370M) and rsync takes 57 mins to sync an
> already sync'ed set of files.

Hi Joe,

The slow-wire situation you describe here was the EXACT motivation for
the creation of rsync. Compression, fast difference checking (for even
faster difference checking you could use only the timestamp, but in
this case that would be false optimization because the wire is
overwhelmingly your bottleneck unless one of the computers involved is
from the 20th century.

By the way, the originator of rsync is also the originator of Samba,
Andrew Tridgell.

Thanks

SteveT

                          *  http://twitter.com/stevelitt