[TriLUG] copying files

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Fri Jun 22 11:51:22 EDT 2012

On Fri, 22 Jun 2012, Jeff Schornick wrote:

>>> just doing an fstat() (or similar) on the other end?
>>
>> following Alexy's comment, I see that several RTT's are
>> involved. However I'm still not transferring cdimage.iso
>> just the timestamps etc
>
> Right, but we're talking about 1000s of files.  So your
> overhead to "collect the timestamps" is many orders of
> magnitude slower than using rsync in the more traditional
> sense.  Such that if you latency is high enough, it could
> easily eclipse your overall sync time.
>
> Rsync is not optimized to be run against a filesystem that
> appears to be local (nfs, sshfs), but one which incurs
> latency on each read associated with a remote machine.

I see.

> If I'm reading you right, it appears you're still mounting
> some sort of network filesystem from "far away".  Don't do
> that if you plan on using rsync to sync many files.  Let
> it do what it does best, where it calculates each of its
> file lists on the respective machines.

OK. got it and I missed this too. I see that this is a
logical extension of Alexy's point. In that case I've been
barking up the wrong tree, comparing cp with rsync, both to
filesystems that appear to be local. I should be comparing
cp to a filesystem that appears to be local on one hand
against rsync running local talking to rsync running on a
remote machine.

groan

Thanks
Joe