[TriLUG] OT: thermodynamics of A/C question

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Fri Jun 22 21:10:47 EDT 2012

On Fri, 22 Jun 2012, Steve Litt wrote:

> If your house is anything like my house, then in the absence of air
> conditioning or open windows, every hour it goes about half way toward
> the external temperature. By 2PM it's basically as hot as the (90+, I
> live in Orlando) external temperature. I don't think your house is
> going to function as a heat sink long enough to have your morning
> running start carry through til 6pm. Unless of course you're a lot more
> insulated than my house.

I haven't characterised my house this well. I have some
shade in the afternoon and I didn't need to turn on the A/C
till about 5pm, when the outside temp was 90.

> If you have lots of computers,

they're all upstairs and I'm spending the day downstairs
this summer.

Compared to the wattage of the sun, computers aren't that
big a problem

> I don't know if your area is humid or dry, but if it's dry
> you can always get an evaporative cooler. I saw one of
> those used with great effect in California's San Fernando
> Valley, where it's dry.

I'm in Durham. It's humid

Joe