[TriLUG] OT: thermodynamics of A/C question

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Sat Jun 23 10:01:47 EDT 2012

On Sat, 23 Jun 2012, Matt Flyer wrote:

> One of these days I intend to get around to improving the
> graph and yes, the scales are one of my biggest target
> items.  It is a $0 project

:-(

> and a matter of time getting to it.

> While it may be difficult to determine from the graphs,
> usage and drops in energy efficiency really do correlate
> heavily to wet bulb from our experience, to where it along
> with dew point have become accurate predictors of
> performance.

this is for evaporative water cooling, or regular freon type
A/C? (I'm sure you must have said this, but I've forgotten
sorry.)

> One other thing that I was thinking about in terms of
> residential issues, with respect to running AC at off
> times to super cool versus running it throughout the day
> is that a home, doesn't have any mechanism of sufficient
> thermal storage as the heat capacity of (dry) air is so
> poor.

I'd forgotten about this. I remember back in the 70's seeing
solar/energy_efficient houses with large (3" ?) diameter
columns in the house, full of water, to store heat/cold
(depending on the season).

> On a side note, I am anticipating owning one more house in
> my lifetime and I am seriously considering using a two
> water loop system, one hot, one cold, with variable flow
> air handlers that will allow me to flow air in only the
> rooms that it is needed.

sounds great. I'm just trying to optimise what I've got

Joe