[TriLUG] OT: how to dock a spacecraft?

David Both dboth at millennium-technology.com
Sun Jun 24 12:47:03 EDT 2012

You cannot catch up in an orbit of the same height. As long as the orbits are in
the same plane and assuming at the same altitude, the only way to do this is to
fire the thrusters in the retro direction, to drop the chasing craft into a
lower orbit. Lower orbits have shorter distance to go as they are closer to
earth and must go faster (angular velocity from center of earth orbit) in order
to stay in orbit because Earth's gravity is stronger (or you are deeper in the
gravity well in Einsteinian physics) so in a lower orbit you catch up. Once you
are within a decent range where orbital mechanics are less relevant than simple
positional translation, you fire the thrusters in the forward direction in order
to raise your orbit and become fairly stationary with the target. Then you can
use translational thrusters to maneuver into a dock.

Very simplified, but I hope it helps.

David P. Both, RHCE
Millennium Technology Consulting LLC
919-389-8678

dboth at millennium-technology.com

www.millennium-technology.com
www.databook.bz - Home of the DataBook for Linux
DataBook is a Registered Trademark of David Both