[TriLUG] OT: thermodynamics of A/C question

Glenn Hennessee glenn.hennessee at gmail.com
Mon Jun 25 12:02:43 EDT 2012

I'm doing pretty much the same thing. Put a fan blowing out of the
house at night and open a window so cooler outside air is sucked in.
With my fan I can get the temp at night down to about 5 degrees above
outside temp. A larger fan/more fans would probably lower that
difference. [I lived in a house for a year with a whole house fan and
it was a marvelous thing. Open a couple of windows, turn on the fan
and in 15 minutes you were down to almost outside temp.] Close the
windows in the morning and keep as much light(=heat) out as possible
too. I haven't turned my AC on yet this year and the inside temp tops
out at ~82. A couple of years ago I added a lot more insulation in the
attic and put in soffits. That helped a great deal with both heating
and cooling. I doubt that spraying the roof with water will help much
if the attic is well insulated.
glenn

Glenn