[TriLUG] dhclient woes

Michael Peterson yieter at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 11:21:24 EDT 2012

On Sun, Jul 15, 2012 at 2:02 PM, Bill Farrow <bill at arrowsreach.com> wrote:
> I'm not sure if the dhclient was running or not.  I checked the logs
> and saw that it had retried several times on Friday night and then
> nothing.  At the time I was more interested in getting the systems
> running again so I just restarted networking.  Next time I will check
> with ps.

RH-based systems default to including the "-1" option to dhclient
which makes it only go through one cycle of requesting an address
before it exits.  That behavior is controlled by PERSISTENT_DHCLIENT
that Darryl mentioned.  I only have one Ubuntu system and it doesn't
use dhclient, so I can't tell if that's the default on ubuntu or not.

Michael