[TriLUG] Hard Drive Help

Brian Blater brb.lists at gmail.com
Mon Jul 30 11:43:50 EDT 2012

This is a long shot but if someone can help, it would be the TriLUG list.

I've got an old Iomega Desktop Hard Drive 1TB USB 2.0 drive like this
one https://iomega-na-en.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19132
model number MDHD10T-U2. This is one of those drives that comes with 2
actual drives internally and a PCB that does JBOD to get you the full
capacity.

Anyways, a couple of weeks ago the power supply died on this (it is
external and known to fail). I got a different power supply and got
everything working again. However, just the other day, the drive
failed again. This time, it has to be the PCB, because I can see each
drive individually if I remove them from the case and if I disconnect
the top drive in the case I can see the bottom one, but if I remove
the bottom one and leave the top one, I see nothing. I've checked all
over for one for sale but haven't found anything. Google was not my
friend this time, other than showing me the numerous links to fix the
failed PS.

Just wondering if someone on TriLUG might have one lying around. It is
really the PCB that I need, so anyone of the models should work.

If not this route, then I'm going to give GetData's Recover My Files
app a try and see if I can rebuilt the JBOD array and get to the data.
My "success meter" is really low on thinking this will work, but not
much else to try.

Anyone have any other tricks for rebuilding a JBOD array to access the
data from dissimilar JBOD hardware?

Thanks for your help or suggests.

Brian

*Kicking myself for not hurrying and getting a backup after the PS
failed. Didn't think the data was that crucial, but the kids now say
it is. Live and learn!