[TriLUG] Email: Character Encoding

Jack Hill jackhill at jackhill.us
Tue Jul 31 17:30:16 EDT 2012

On Tue, 31 Jul 2012 16:46:32 -0400
Alan Sterger <asterger at earthlink.net> wrote:

> Hey Listers,
>
> After receiving Jack's reply, changed both Thunderbird's incoming and
> outgoing character encoding to UTF-8.  Received a personal reply from
> Mr Palmer (what keystroke IS that?) and all was well with his first
> name.  Today reading the digest, I still see "?" substituted for the
> diacritic "o" in his first name.
>
> I realize this isn't a "heavy" issue but thought it would have been
> eliminated by my actions yesterday.
>
> Is the TriLUG digest diddling bits?
>
> Cheers,
>
> -- Alan Sterger

I can answer how I type ‘ó’: I uses X’s compose key combinations. I
have set my compose key to right-alt, so to enter fancy character I hit
that key and then two other keys. What the key sequence to use is by
default defined by your locale. For me o-accute-accent is <compose> <o>
<'>. Have a look in /usr/share/X11/locale/<locale>/Compose (or
similar) for what some some combinations are. I use “setxkbmap -option
compose:ralt” to set my compose key. Other input methods are available.

Not that I know the answer, but what do you mean by digest? The web
archive or the mailman batched mails?

Jack