[TriLUG] Griping about Time-Warner outage

David Both dboth at millennium-technology.com
Wed Aug 1 10:52:25 EDT 2012

Changing /etc/resolv.conf if you are using DHCP can be frustrating after a
reboot because I used to forget that I had manually changed the file. Here are a
couple options to help.

If you are using DHCP or static IPs on a system, and I assume it is Linux of
some kind, you can add the DNS entries to
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 (or appropriate NIC name).

DNS1=8.8.8.8
DNS2=8.8.4.4

Up to 3 are supported. My experience is that the DHCP provided name server is
the 1st one in the list in /etc/resolv.conf, but this at least provides a
failover after the brief, but annoying, timeout.

Another option is to set up /etc/resolv.conf and then be sure to set the
immutable bit so that the NetworkManager service cannot change it.

chattr +i /etc/resolv.conf