[TriLUG] BlueTooth dongle purchase

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Fri Aug 10 16:07:04 EDT 2012

On Fri, 10 Aug 2012, Steve Litt wrote:

> What would be the benefit of having bluetooth on a
> computer? What could you do with it?

The real problem is that bluetooth is so badly supported in
linux that no-one has found much to do with it. The only
connectivity we have that isn't a physical wire, is wifi.
Presumably much of the low bandwidth usb, serial or ethernet
cabling we use, at least for personal/home type use, could
be replaced by bluetooth. I don't think  it scales to large
numbers of users/connections and I don't know how secure it
is. I expect it's like ad-hoc wifi.

Joe