[TriLUG] Need help with ClamAV

David Both dboth at millennium-technology.com
Mon Aug 13 09:12:36 EDT 2012

I am trying to configure ClamAV Milter using SendMail and SpamAssassin with
MimeDefang on Fedora 15-17 in order to scan emails for virii. I have had
SendMail, SpamAssassin and MimeDefang running quite well for a few years now. I
have tried adding ClamAV to this mix several times and have always encountered
the same problem. The clamd service will not start.

I have the latest Clam database and clamscan does work from the CLI. The real
issue seems to be configuring clamd to start. I get errors in the log files, but
they only tell me what I already know. While researching this part, I found that
Fedora installs an empty database during a default installation, and that I had
to install the clamav-update package and run freshclam in order to download the
latest real database.

I have the following line in /etc/mail/sendmail.mc. And yes, I ran make and
restarted SendMail. ;-)

INPUT_MAIL_FILTER(`clamav',
`S=local:/var/run/clamav-milter/clamav-milter.socket, F=, T=S:4m;R:4m')dnl

systemctl showed:
Clam Antivirus scanner

maillog:
Aug  9 06:00:01 student2 sendmail[2177]: q79A01gF002177: Milter (clamav): local
socket name /var/run/clamav-milter/clamav-milter.socket unsafe
Aug  9 06:00:01 student2 sendmail[2177]: q79A01gF002177: Milter (clamav): to
error state

messages:
Aug  9 09:44:25 student2 clamav-milter[3782]: +++ Started at Thu Aug  9 09:44:25
2012
Aug  9 09:44:25 student2 clamav-milter[3782]: ClamAV: Unable to bind to port
/var/run/clamav-milter/clamav-milter.socket: No such file or directory
Aug  9 09:44:25 student2 clamav-milter[3782]: ClamAV: Unable to create listening
socket on conn /var/run/clamav-milter/clamav-milter.socket
Aug  9 09:44:25 student2 clamav-milter[3782]: Failed to create socket
/var/run/clamav-milter/clamav-milter.socket
Aug  9 09:44:25 student2 systemd[1]: clamav-milter.service: main process exited,
code=exited, status=1
Aug  9 09:44:25 student2 systemd[1]: clamav-milter.service holdoff time over,
scheduling restart.
Aug  9 09:44:25 student2 systemd[1]: Unit clamav-milter.service entered failed
state.

After manually creating the non-existent /var/run/clamav-milter/ and
/var/run/clamd directories and setting appropriate ownership and permissions,
the clamav-milter does start without error. However, email sent to anywhere now
disappears into the great bit-bucket in the sky leaving behind no log entries.

I use Fedora and have tried this with several versions of that, including F14,
F15, and F17. Google locates many web sites that mention this combo, but none
have provided the necessary incantation to make this work. None of the Admin,
SendMail or SpamAssassin books I have provide any clues.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how to make this work? Is anyone actually doing it?

David P. Both, RHCE
Millennium Technology Consulting LLC
919-389-8678

dboth at millennium-technology.com

www.millennium-technology.com
www.databook.bz  - Home of the DataBook for Linux
DataBook is a Registered Trademark of David Both