[TriLUG] Fwd: Organize a Debian Birthday party in your city

Rob Rousseau ki4bke at nc.rr.com
Thu Aug 16 09:51:15 EDT 2012

Around 1989 or so, my friends and I were logging into local BBS, first
using his 300 baud acoustical modem (dial on phone, listen for
carrier, then plugged it into the modem cups).  I was fortunate enough
to have an IBM PC at home that when my Dad wasn't using it for work, I
would load up Telix (yay Zmodem!) or Procomm and dial in to the BBS
scene (at 14.4k or 28.8k later).  A friend of ours knew someone in the
CATT program at NCSU and we then started dialing in using a guest
account.  We used TinyTalk to connect to the MUDs, MUCKs, MUSH, MOOs,
etc...(Islandia anyone?).  Distinctly remember being up at 5am talking
to users in Australia.  There was a bot named Oreo and I had to
explain what an Oreo cookie was because they had not seen one before.
-Rob