[TriLUG] first post: looking for basic Linux course

Jack Hill jackhill at jackhill.us
Tue Aug 21 15:32:02 EDT 2012

On Tue, 21 Aug 2012, bak wrote:

> Yes, this.
>
> I learned how to do Linux stuff the first time around by buying a system
> from a property surplus warehouse and installing BSD on it.

I don't mean to nit-pick, but was curious if you mispoke, or if BSD, by
virtue of being something (older, simpler, less popular, a cleaner design,
etc.) actually tought you something about Linux. I've been meaning to do a
BSD install for some time, but keep getting distracted. I guess I need a
specific project for it, but all the projects I think of I can just
implement on top of my GNU/Linux systems. Maybe I should get into
filesystems and look at NetBSD and puffs.

Also, someone suggested working on a Free flash implementation. Is Flash
that interesting of a technology compared to in-browser JavaScript and
Java applets?

Jack