[TriLUG] do hard disks have a shelf life?

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Thu Sep 6 16:20:48 EDT 2012

For home use I replace disks after about 2yrs and after
checking them with badblocks and smartctl, put them on the
shelf for projects. The disks are labelled with the date of
first use, their read and write rate and the date of the
last badblocks and smartctl run

In the last 4 weeks or so, I put into action, 5 disks 3-8yrs
old, that haven't been used for maybe 2-5 yrs. Everyone of
them failed within a week. One of them is a 1.5TByte disk
that the highest 300G of sectors (is this inside or
outside?) is unwritable. Others failed with clicks of death,
bad lba's according to smartctl or just not booting.

It's hard to imagine that electronics would go bad in 2-5
yrs sitting on a shelf. Does the surface of the disk degrade
with time?

Thanks Joe