[TriLUG] do hard disks have a shelf life?

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Thu Sep 6 17:05:36 EDT 2012

On Thu, 6 Sep 2012, Steve Litt wrote:

As to Aaron's statement, the drives have been in a set of
drawers in their antistatic bags, on a rubber mat in my
office, which is has A/C in summer and regular heat in
winter. There's little thermal cycling going on.

> As a former stereo repairman, if I had to guess on the
> cause of this situation, I'd guess it would be the motor
> bearings. After awhile, the lubricant on motor bearings
> hardens. I would think this would happen *especially* if
> the motor were not used for years.

that fits.

I have similar drives that sit in external enclosures and
are powered up to run backup, for 3-12hrs, once a week. None
of these have failed. Ones of the same type I bought at the
same time and sat on the shelf are dead.

I guess the lesson is not to buy spare disks. It takes a
couple of days to run badblocks on a new disk, so if a disk
dies on me, I like to have disk ready to go. Maybe this
isn't a great idea.

Joe