[TriLUG] TriLUG GeekSpark Bluetooth Workshop - Saturday 15th September

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Sat Sep 15 20:36:32 EDT 2012

On Fri, 14 Sep 2012, Bill Farrow wrote:

> Hey, On Saturday (tomorrow) we are holding a Linux
> Bluetooth Workshop at DesignBox, downtown Raleigh.

Thanks to Bill for today's w/s. About a dozen people
attended.

It was kid and dog friendly and for that extra touch, Bill
thoughtfully brought in geek food for lunch; cold left-over
pizza from thursday's meeting.

There was plenty of on-street parking. The location was
found through friends of Justis. I didn't figure out what
the place was. It seemed to be an art gallery with a lot of
computers with big screens.

Bill was the opening act in the morning and got us to
compile up the standard tools. I had a bt mouse working in
no time, something I couldn't get to work 5yrs ago when I
last tried bluetooth. We found that Sarah (evidently a
person who works at the art gallery), had left her
MacBookPro on over the weekend with the bt port open
for all to connect to.

Ronin came in for the afternoon, to give us his live
BackTrack v5 CD with all the bt tools he had found. I got my
bt headset to work on linux with Ronin's tools.

Bill showed us his bt OBDII adapter, plugged it into his car
and then connected to his car from inside the building. Alan
Porter showed us his serial to bt adapter which he uses with
an arduino, to send messages to his cell phone when his
garage door opens. I must have a much smaller house than
Alan, as I can hear my garage door open from anywhere in the
house.

I must say bt is a bit of a mess. The other networking
protocols (ethernet, decnet, ...) are layered and have no
idea of what's happening at the application layer. In bt,
all the layers are squashed down to one layer and the bt
tools have to know what your sending; serial, files,
audio... It makes bt quite hard to compile up.

Joe