[TriLUG] e2fsck under cron gets retcode=8 operational error

Thomas Gardner tmg at pobox.com
Wed Sep 19 08:03:53 EDT 2012

On 9/19/12, Joseph Mack NA3T <jmack at wm7d.net> wrote:
> [...]
> again you're just saying loudly to the world that you accept
> that the utilities (in this case df) don't work.

Cut me some slack, I said I'd try to get around to it.  Don't know if
it'll be accepted or not, but I said I'd at least try.  Besides, in
the case of df, someone DID fix it (-P), and folks are STILL
complaining about it.

> What if you
> have restricted memory and can't have perl, or you need to
> do 100 of these at each iteration and you don't want to have
> to run a perl script each time?

It's called hackin'.  It's what Unix is all about.  You can never make
all utilities give their output exactly how everyone wants it.  You
generally just try to make it machine massagable, at least, and let
people munge it on the back side.  It's not terribly difficult to do,
once you get the hang of it.  You just gotta get the hang of it.  It
really doesn't take a lot of resources to do, either, once you get
good at it.

>> You could probably do it with bf
>
> I don't know bf sorry

Trust me, you don't want to.