[TriLUG] Reverse DNS lookup for some local devices is very slow.

Chris Merrill chris at webperformance.com
Wed Sep 19 11:47:16 EDT 2012

We've run into a bug that we traced to reverse DNS lookups that our software is performing when
devices on the local network connect to it.  For some devices (Windows machines, my droid), this
lookup is very fast. For an iPad and OSX machine, it takes ~4500ms.  The lookup fails (returns no
name) for the iPad but succeeds for the OSX laptop (though this does not appear to return the
correct name). Results are the same when the other devices are connected via our wireless or wired
networks.

Internally, we're using dnsmasq for DHCP and local DNS...maybe part of the equation?

Anyone have any ideas why we might see these differences?  I'm beyond the limits of my limited
networking knowledge :(

chris at webperformance.com                |  http://webperformance.com
919-433-1762                            |  919-845-7601

Web Performance: Website Load Testing Software & Services