[TriLUG] Bluetooth after U10.04 > D6.0.5

Alan Porter porter at trilug.org
Sat Sep 29 19:30:22 EDT 2012

Last month, as we were gearing up for JP's talk on troubleshooting (and hacking) Bluetooth, I created a project at home that used an Arduino board with a small Bluetooth serial adaptor to monitor my garage door.

http://blog.alanporter.com/2012-09-02/garage

The Arduino watches the garage door, and my Linux box connects to it via Bluetooth to see what's going on.

This week, I upgraded my Linux box from Ubuntu 10.04 to Debian 6.0.5 (I did not upgrade to Ubuntu 12.04 because this box has an AMD Geode LX800 CPU, a i586-class CPU -- Ubuntu 12.04 is compiled for i686 and above).

After the upgrade, I can no longer connect to the garage door monitor.  I can set up an RFCOMM connection, but when I try to open the /dev/rfcomm0 serial port, I get "connection refused".  This is not a file permission issue... it refuses connections.

I am not sure whether I am paired with the device or not.  I think I am, because otherwise I would not be able to set up the RFCOMM connection at all.

    alan at bender:~$ sudo /usr/bin/rfcomm bind 0 07:12:xx:xx:xx:xx 1

    alan at bender:~$ ls -l /dev/rfcomm0
    crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 216, 0 Sep 29 17:28 /dev/rfcomm0

    alan at bender:~$ minicom -D /dev/rfcomm0 -b 9600
    minicom: cannot open /dev/rfcomm0: Connection refused

    alan at bender:~$ ls -l /dev/rfcomm0
    crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 216, 0 Sep 29 17:28 /dev/rfcomm0

    alan at bender:~$ id
    uid=1000(alan) gid=1000(alan)
    groups=1000(alan),20(dialout),...,27(sudo),...

    alan at bender:~$

I am not sure what to look for now, or how to debug this further.  Ideas?