[TriLUG] A rare look inside a Google Datacenter

Daniel Sterling sterling.daniel at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 11:16:52 EDT 2012

On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 11:03 AM, bak <bak at picklefactory.org> wrote:
> I liked the pretty pictures in Wired, but when I read that Google gives away Gmail for free because they're just so darn energy efficient, I laughed and closed the tab.

It's a factor, no?

How much less does Google pay for power, cooling and space because of
their specialty designs? If it's a significant amount, they can afford
many more boxes with which to do things like gmail. If they didn't
bother saving that money, would they have enough for gmail anyway?

-- Dan