[TriLUG] OT: PT One tech issue from tonight's debate

Aaron Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Wed Oct 17 12:00:16 EDT 2012

Joe, did you see the other thread I posted this morning?  The one
where I'm actively recruiting for people to do highly skilled work?
Please note that I in no way speak for my employer with respect to
this issue, but a quick google search for 'google h1b'
(http://www.myvisajobs.com/Visa-Sponsor/Google/225093.htm) indicates
we do hire quite a few foreign workers, at attractive salaries, and
currently we're *only* allowed to do that when we can't find a US
citizen to fill the position.  If you believe we, or anyone else,
would game that system, *please* make us stop.  *Please* apply, and I
promise you we'll work together to make the world a better place.  :)
If, on the other hand, we can't find enough US citizens to make self
driving cars or build artificial intelligences to solve tomorrow's
problems... should we give up on making the world a better place?
Should we employee that talent in disparate offices in other
countries, slowing communication (and thus innovation) by removing the
high-bandwidth face-to-face communication and depriving the US of that
salary being taxed and spent in this country?

Aaron S. Joyner