[TriLUG] OT: PT One tech issue from tonight's debate

Brandon Van Every bvanevery at gmail.com
Sat Oct 20 11:09:52 EDT 2012

On Sat, Oct 20, 2012 at 4:51 AM, Joseph Mack NA3T <jmack at wm7d.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Oct 2012, R Radford wrote:
>
>> Your entire view of life, in general, of technology, the US, and NC is
>> depressing
>
> You're elated to know that NC is 39th in SATs, the 3 best high schools in
> Durham have only average SATs,

I agree that the state of public education could be greatly improved
in the USA in most places.

> that Cuba with 1/9th GDP/capita has a longer
> life expectancy and a lower infant mortality than the US,

But this begs the question of you moving to Cuba, where I think if you
complain like you do, you get a visit from the police.  Also, why are
you going on about "rich person's issues" in one breath about $100k+
salaries and then worrying about life expectancy and infant mortality,
which on average are poor person's issues?  You aren't a striking
Walmart worker.  You have a lot of resources and options compared to
the truly downtrodden.

> Chris Merrill thinks that if something is wrong you should move too. This
> doesn't scale. You can't abandon a place because you aren't prepared to fix
> the problems.

Sure you can.  You just have golden handcuffs.  Last month I met a
family in the woods near Old Fort, NC.  The husband was an organic
farmer, going wherever the work was.  The wife was an artist,
submitting botany drawings online.  They had an 8 year old girl and a
1.5 year old baby boy.  The wife had questions about whether they
could sustain the home schooling thing much longer, but it was working
at the moment.  I think they could have used a larger car, but they
were managing to shove all their camping gear into an aging economy
sized vehicle.

Make your choices and be responsible for them.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Existentialism

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every