[TriLUG] OT: PT One tech issue from tonight's debate

P L Charles Fischer cfischer at modernferrotype.com
Sat Oct 20 14:06:28 EDT 2012

I asked a couple of questions trying to get a response. Well I sure got
one. I felt my karma was in danger if I did not post what I think we
should do. The H1B visa problem is a very complex one. Like most of our
problems, the simple bumper sticker answers are incorrect. In fact I
doubt if any one person has the best answer, including myself. With that
said here goes.

I think Romney's statement (“people around the world with accredited
degrees in — in science and math get a green card stapled to their
diploma, come to the US of A.") was an off the cuff remark, that was
telling of his position.

I do think that the US of A does benefit from attracting the best and
brightest from other countries. That does not mean I think that
everybody with a STEM degree should have a free pass to a green card. I
want only the best and brightest to get H1B visas. The rules for H1B
visas need to change so that for people to qualify for an H1B visa they
must have an advanced degree from an American collage. There should be a
cost to the company for the H1B visa of about 10-20% of the employ's
compensation. The 10-20% should go to enforcement of H1B visa rules and
to reduce the cost of STEM training in the US. The H1B visa holder
should be allowed to stay in the US looking for work up to twelve months
if they leave their sponsors employment.

We still have the problem of not enough qualified citizens getting STEM
degrees and those that do having the qualifications employers are
looking for. Part of the problem is compensation. Unfortunately
compensation will be under pressure from outside the US from now on. You
cannot expect a company to hire high cost citizens when they can
offshore the work at a fraction of the cost. You can expect that the
company will be required to pay the prevailing wage for a worker in the US.

If we lower the cost of STEM education and align it with the skills
needed we should be able to get more people into STEM. If the current
employment picture needs C# programmers (god help us), schools need to
be turning out good C# programmers and not compiler writers. When I was
in school there were two physics programs. One was the typical
theoretical physics for students that were heading for NASA (an option
at that time) or for grad school. The other was called engineering
physics and was applied physics. Computer science may need to go the
same way. So we need jobs for STEM people and some of those jobs should
be government jobs. We have a strategic need to have good STEM educated
citizens. The future will demand that we stay on top of technology if we
are going to stay one of the largest economies in the world. It is the
place of government to have the big programs such as space exploration,
expansion of communications and medical research. If we can drive up
demand for STEM graduates compensation will also increase.

In short we need to invest in our future. In order to invest in our
future without mortgaging it, we need to increase taxes. Sorry, but that
is the only way. The Ryan budget does not do this. Mitt's talking points
do not do it. The Obama budget does not really do it, but it comes closer.