[TriLUG] OT: PT One tech issue from tonight's debate

Brandon Van Every bvanevery at gmail.com
Sat Oct 20 21:01:09 EDT 2012

On Sat, Oct 20, 2012 at 2:42 PM, Steve Litt <slitt at troubleshooters.com> wrote:
>  Imagine a United States where
> employers dropped the requirement for a college degree,

I don't have to imagine.  It's been true for 20 years.  You take
employer resume requirements with an unwarranted degree of
seriousness.  They're mostly written by HR people who have no idea
what they're talking about.  In a tight economy, they might get away
with their ridiculous pronouncements about needing exactly this, this,
this, and that.  In anything less, all that's required is you convince
someone you're capable of actually doing meaningful work.  All
indications right now from The Wall Street Journal etc. is that the
tech sector is in that mode right now.  People are getting hired.  As
always, it's best to get your resume passed to an engineer who
actually has a clue what use you are, rather than submitting to some
know-nothing HR gatekeeper.

> Of course, most people can't learn from resources like Khan Academy
> alone.

Most people also suck at computer programming.  I think we can safely
limit our attention to the ones who have natural aptitude for it.
They aren't rare, and they learn things on the internet all the time.
Have you done any open source work with the kiddies recently?

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every