[TriLUG] IRC

Calvin Spealman ironfroggy at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 11:10:59 EDT 2012

Freenode has policies about the use of existing names in channels, and if
ever there was real complaint, the group can make claims of ownership
regardless of who stared the channel. It is not as independent as something
like Twitter, in fact.

On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 10:34 AM, Alan Porter <porter at trilug.org> wrote:

>  The IRC channel is a semi-official home-away-from-home for us, and even
>> though I have some administrative privileges ... , none of us (TriLUG SC
>> members) own that space in any meaningful way. This list has 600+
>> subscribers and is something that is actively owned/maintained by the LUG,
>> while the IRC channel rarely has more than 70 nicks.
>>

> To clarify...
>
> The IRC channel is a 3rd party service, a lot like Twitter, that we don't
> really own.  A handful of LUG members established the channel many years
> ago and a few of us have some operator-level privileges (a smaller number
> of us actually know how to USE those commands effectively).  #trilug has
> become a hangout for Linux-related questions and general tomfoolery.
>
> So yesterday, someone played a prank in the shared commons that we call
> "#trilug"... an annoying prank.  Noise was made, (volunteer) operators were
> told, things were fixed.  Make sure you thank the prankster for the fun
> that was shared.
>
> Alan Porter
> janitor, not cop
>

> --
> This message was sent to: Calvin Spealman <ironfroggy at gmail.com>

http://techblog.ironfroggy.com/
Follow me if you're into that sort of thing:
http://www.twitter.com/ironfroggy