[TriLUG] Revisiting local dnsmasq DNS resolution

Brian Henning bhenning at pineinst.com
Thu Nov 1 10:28:38 EDT 2012

Hi List,

Not too long ago I started a short thread about the apparent failure of
dnsmasq to resolve local hostnames (things it knows about from its own
leases file) on the machine where it's actually running.  The main theme of

I made that change, but it still seems not to work completely as expected.
dig and host will resolve names, but whatever mechanism is used internally
by programs won't.  What I'm trying to say is this:

$ ssh blueman
ssh: blueman: name or service not known

$ ssh `dig +short blueman`
brian at 192.168.0.124's password:

Why would that be?  What do I need to change to make "ssh blueman" work?  Do
I just need to restart something?

Many thanks for the advice and hand-holding.  I don't know why this is
escaping me.

Cheers,
~Brian

          Brian Henning, Software Engineer