[TriLUG] Issue Tracking

Brian McCullough bdmc at buadh-brath.com
Thu Nov 8 16:45:14 EST 2012

On Thu, Nov 08, 2012 at 11:35:34AM -0500, Brian McCullough wrote:
> Folks,
>
> Running a straw poll this morning ( almost gone, isn't it? ) on what
> people favour for Issue ( bug, etc ) Tracking these days for
> installation in a Unix / Linux server.
>
> I am needing such a tool, which needs to be able to be used remotely (
> web? ).  I have known of, and used, several different tools, but times
> change.  Since it is a new installation, I have no need to handle
> history from another product.

This has been an educational conversation.

I also got a chance to talk to someone else who was looking at a similar
question, and he made me ask questions that might re-define the problem.

I don't think that I need, certainly not to start, the heavy-duty
project management tools, but something more like a "to-do" list; with
the ability for various users, tech, customer support, management, to
add and list items from the list; as well as the ability to show whether
the item is a bug or issue, or an enhancement, or something else; and
set priority.  Of course, there are a few other capabilities, like the
ability to edit the items, that would be necessary.

Because of the wide variation in user types, the UI needs to be simple.
Even us techy types can appreciate that.

My current target host is an older desktop box ( 5 years? ), with a
non-current CentOS. ( 5.something )

How do the various tools fit my revised requirements?

Thanks again,
Brian