[TriLUG] this is a serious question - how to detect things in photos with Linux

Greg Brown gwbrown1 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 7 22:55:25 EST 2012

Background: I have been tasked with building the technical end of a 21st century photo booth, the kind you sit in that used to spit out four photos, for a company on the Outer Banks.  Instead of printing out photos said company wants to upload photos to their Facebook page, website, etc.. perhaps even Tweet them.

Easy enough, right?  (famous last words)  Get a Linux single-board-computer (one with wi-fi to connect to the office network and Internet), a webcam, write some simple scripts and success!

But that said, being as this will be an automated process and people are people I need to come up with a way to detect boobs, butts and junk (yes, I'm serious) to filter and objectionable pictures before they are uploaded.

Has anyone done anything like this?  I've seen some projects on-line that shoots water at squirrels eating birdseed and whatnot and maybe that's the way.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Greg

Sent from my iPad