[TriLUG] Digital AM/FM/LW SSB SW Radio

Roy Vestal rvestal at trilug.org
Sat Dec 15 22:48:30 EST 2012

One place to look is local HamFests as well.

Here are some online resources:
http://www.secondhandradio.com - Used equipment for sale.
http://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php - Reviews of various radio
equipment including receivers.

If you decide to get your license, there are a number of online study
resources. I personally like this one (he a local VE):
http://www.nc4fb.org - Right hand menu has study resources and free
online practice exams.

HTH,
-Roy
KK4ATD

On 12/11/12 11:58 PM, John Riselvato wrote:
> I remember a while back reading someones post talking about HAM radios,
> which I guess was accepted as a TRILug Discussion. (Its techy and... fun ==
> Linux).
> In anycase, while I was studying for my calculus final exam, I some how
> found myself emerged in Shortwave radio reviews on youtube. I don't know
> how I got there, everything seems so fuzzy (poor frequencies?).
> I really enjoyed what I was learning from comparison videos on the DEGEN
> DE1103 and other cheap SWs. I am interested in buying a cheap radio for
> listening to the frequencies around my area. Maybe even build my
> own antenna's that could reach to other parts of the world.
> Does anyone have any experience in this topic? What would you suggest for a
> cheap SW/MW radio?
> Thanks,
> John
>
> "Its the Othello of programming languages: a minute to learn, a lifetime to
> master" - mwn3d (RosettaCode irc)

Roy Vestal
http://rpp.linuxmaniac.net

   .-.