[TriLUG] Linux on PowerMacs

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Mon Dec 17 20:51:45 EST 2012

On Mon, 17 Dec 2012 18:10:46 -0500 (EST)
Dewey Hylton <plug at hyltown.com> wrote:

> can't speak to netbsd, but i have a few g4 mac minis running openbsd
> that do very well. and if a serial port is available, openbsd can be
> installed and managed via serial port (i do this with my soekris and
> alix boards as well) so the lack of video card might not be a
> roadblock.

I agree with you that the BSDs are great for low ram boxes, but I just
wanted to say that six months ago I managed to shoehorn a CLI Net
install of Debian onto a single core, 500mhz box with 128MB of RAM. I
used Xfce for the desktop. It didn't run all that well if you want to
open more than 2 or 3 windows, but for a simple "let's browse the web,
get email, and write a few letters" computer, it was adequate.

You just gave me a good idea. I'm going to erase that Debian, lay down
FreeBSD, and see how *that* performs on that same box.

Thanks

SteveT